Recently, my Dad and Aunt Connie went to visit my Grandpa Haan and help him clean out his storage unit. While there, they found many photos, newspapers, letters, and other special keepsakes there were important to him and my Grandmother Leona. Connie blessed each of us grandkids with a zip drive of all of the keepsakes scanned, saved, and organized on powerpoint presentations. What a special gift! It was so great to look at pictures of family, hear stories of my father's childhood, and read notes and other articles. After watching the power points that Connie put together, I wanted to write a special blog post in memory of my Grandma Leona. She was such a special woman and definitely impacted the woman, wife, and mother I am today. So, here is my blog tribute to her.
Ten Words to Describe Leona
1) Prayer Warrior~ I remember vividly watching my grandmother in prayer each time I spent with her. I also remember the many notebooks of prayer requests that she would pray each and every day. I always knew that if I talked to her about a problem, a decision, or a celebration that those would make it into her her notebook and she would never forget to pray for me and for my family.
2) Wife~ Leona was a devoted wife to my Grandfather Donald. She worked right along side him on the farm, cooked, cleaned, and cared for her family. She loved him dearly and he loved her right back. What a witness their marriage was to me!
3) Mother~ Leona was a wonderful mother to three children. She was a strict mom, wanting only the best from her daughter and sons. She was also a foster mom and taught many young women how to raise children of their own, the meaning of hard work, and what a family was like.
4) Grandmother~ I was blessed with being the oldest granddaughter and I got to spend the most time with Grandma Leona. She loved her grandchildren dearly and enjoyed helping to teach us and take care of us too. I have fond memories of her teaching us flannel board bible stories, playing the magazine game, letting us do her her hair, and playing rack-o with us! I also remember her coming to help my mom after each baby was born. She would cook, clean and care for us children.
5) Storyteller~ I LOVED listening to my grandma tell stories of her childhood. She had such great stories that taught important lessons. I only wish she or I would have written them down.
6) Farmer~ My grandma spent each day doing chores right along side my grandpa. She fed the chickens, milked the goats, and assisted in any way possible. She was such a hard worker!
7) Singer~ I loved listening to my grandma singing and joining her in the tunes. We always sang while doing dishes and it really made a not-so-fun job kind of fun. She had a beautiful voice and used it to praise the Lord in song!
8) Cook/Baker~ Man, could my grandma cook! She made the most delicious meals, always had cookies or pies ready for visitors and always cooked and baked without a recipe. She taught me how to cook so many things while I was going to college in South Dakota and I am so glad I learned how to make her famous potato salad! :)
9) Florist~ My grandma had quite the green thumb! Her living room was always filled with many plants. Her ferns were huge and I remember loving the violets that she grew.
I thought they were so pretty!
10) Strong~ Grandma was such a strong women! She was spiritually strong in her faith and physically strong in her fight against cancer. She never let her pain get her spirits down. She was such a strong witness to those who were blessed to meet her. Her days in the nursing home were not filled with sadness or depression, rather they were filled with making new friends, enjoying company and loving on people.
Below is a paper that I wrote for a school project. I remember knowing exactly who I was going to chose to write about. While it isn't the most well-written paper, my sentiments still hold true today and I wanted to include it in this post.
All my love,
Jen
I thought they were so pretty!
10) Strong~ Grandma was such a strong women! She was spiritually strong in her faith and physically strong in her fight against cancer. She never let her pain get her spirits down. She was such a strong witness to those who were blessed to meet her. Her days in the nursing home were not filled with sadness or depression, rather they were filled with making new friends, enjoying company and loving on people.
Below is a paper that I wrote for a school project. I remember knowing exactly who I was going to chose to write about. While it isn't the most well-written paper, my sentiments still hold true today and I wanted to include it in this post.
Proverbs 31:25~ She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
All my love,
Jen













No comments:
Post a Comment